The Worthington Area YMCA is proud to offer full American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification and First Aid & CPR Certification courses to our community and the surrounding areas. We offer Lifeguarding Certification, Lifeguard Review, First Aid/CPR Certification and first Aid/CPR Review classes several times a year. Check below for our current and upcoming Lifeguarding and First Aid/CPR Certifications and Reviews.
LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATION CLASS
Participants will undergo 25 hours of coursework in person. Students must attend ALL of the class in order to pass it successfully.
- Swim 300 yards performing the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both
- Tread water for 2 minutes without the use of their arms/hands. Placing hands above the water.
- Perform a timed recovery scenario by swimming 15 yards, submerging to retrieve an object located in 8-10 feet of water and return with object to the starting point and exit the water. This task must be completed in under 1 minute 40 seconds.
Class Fee: $175.00 per participant (If participant has applied and interviewed to work for the Worthington Area YMCA before the class date, the course fee will be waived with the consent of the Aquatics Director)
Weekend Lifeguard Classes will follow the schedule outlined below:
- Friday: 5pm - 8pm
- Saturday: 8am - 8pm
- Sunday: 8am - 6pm
Some Lifeguard Classes will be held during the week. The schedule for those classes will viewable through the registration page, or specified below.
LIFEGUARD REVIEW (RECERTIFICATION)
The Lifeguarding Review class is for any currently certified lifeguards who are still under their two year certification or not past their 30 day expiration period. Course is 12 hours in length. This comprehensive review course will bring Lifeguards up to the current American Red Cross Standards, and recertify them for another 2 years. CPR, First Aid and AED reviews are included in the cost of the program, 10 hours of course work and hands on experience. Participants must pass a physical test: 300yd swim, 2 minutes treading water without hands and a timed recovery drill.
Class Fee: $75.00 per participant
American Red Cross Junior Lifeguarding Class
American Red Cross Junior Lifeguarding is designed to guide youth to the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course by building knowledge, attitudes, and skills for future lifeguards. Participants are not required to master or perfectly execute skills. The Junior Lifeguard course does not certify participants in first aid, CPR or AED or as a lifeguard.
Taught by a certified American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor, this Junior lifeguarding course will introduce participants to:
- The skills needed for entry to the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course
- Communication, teamwork and decision-making skills.
- The basic responsibilities of a lifeguard.
- The basic knowledge and skills required to participate in the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course.
- Swim the front crawl for 25 yards continuously while breathing to the front or to the side.
- Swim the breaststroke for 25 yards using a pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence
- Complete the Water Competency Sequence:
- Step into the water from the side and totally submerge.
- Maintain position for one minute by treading water or floating (or a combination of the two)
- Rotate one full turn and orient to the exit.
- Level off and swim on front or back for 25 yards.
- Exit without using a ladder or steps.
Class Fee: $105 member / $125 non-member
American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Dates:
- Weekend Classes
- January 20th - 22nd, 2023
- February 3rd - 5th, 2023
- March 31st - April 2nd, 2023
- April 28th - 30th, 2023
- May 19th - 21st, 2023
- Weekday Classes
- June 5th - 9th, 2023
- Monday - Friday 8am - 12pm
- June 5th - 9th, 2023
American Red Cross Lifeguard Recertification Dates:
- January 21st, 2023
- March 18th, 2023
- May 6th, 2023
- June 24th, 2024
American Red Cross Jr. Lifeguard Dates:
- August 15th - 26th, 2022 from 9am - 1pm
Worthington Area YMCA Aquatics Director
p: (507) 376-6197 ext 224